1. What fitness is required?
We recommend a reasonable fitness level, especially for Day One. Check out the map for distances and terrain on previous pages and be sure you do some hill training!
2. Is there any cell phone coverage?
There is no cell phone coverage at all. However, there is a good wi-fi network at Stony Bay Lodge (your second night of accommodation). We suggest you organise yourself to be incommunicado. You are welcome to use our home phones if you are desperate. You can leave Kiri’s number (06 3078115) with family members if need be and we can get urgent messages to you.
3. Do we need to share the accommodation with others?
Yes – unless your group consists of at least 12 people you are likely to be with others. However, when taking the bookings we make certain that each individual group won’t need to share bedrooms with members from another group. Living areas are communal.
4. What is the best way to get to the start of the track?
Check out the ‘How to Get to Us‘ section
5. Is there somewhere to leave our cars?
Yes. At night 1 there is off road parking available. The car park is well off the road on private property.
6. Can I get my deposit back if I can no longer come?
Yes, if at least 30 days notice is given – refer to our bookings page.
7. Are we allowed to bring our dog?
No – sorry, no dogs allowed
8. What time should we book flights home?
The walk on the final day takes approximately 5 hours to complete. Your finish point (Whakapata Cottage) is 30 minutes drive from Martinborough and two hours drive from Wellington Airport. We recommend booking flights from Wellington any time after 5pm. This will allow plenty of time to shower and grab a coffee in Martinborough enroute.
9. Can we bring our own snacks?
Yes, you are welcome to bring your own snacks and pre-dinner nibbles. Don’t go overboard though as we are renowned for feeding you well!
10. Can non-walkers be transported?
Yes, we are happy to transport non- walkers with the luggage each day free of charge. Please give us prior warning if this service is required.
11. Can dietary requirements be catered for?
Yes, we are happy to cater for basic dietary requirements. Please notify of these at the time of booking.